Act Like a Lady, Think Like a Man

Remember in 2009 when Steve Harvey wrote New York Times Best Seller Act Like a Lady, Think Like a Man; the book flew off of shelves. There were preorders, and waitlist everyone had a copy I just had to see what all the buzz was about. The book was a hit women all over the world were singing Steve Harvey's praises for unlocking the code to men. 

I was straight out of high school going into college when I read Act Like a Lady, Think Like a Man; I was very sheltered growing up I was not allowed to listen to worldly music, I was not allowed to date (not that I had the attention of any boy), I was not allowed to go to sleepovers or play dates, or hang out I mean we never even talked about the birds and the bee's in my house. 18 and fresh out of high school I was grown you could not tell me nothin' I didn't have time for childish little boys anymore I was an adult. I knew nothing about boys, and especially nothing about men so downloading this book I thought would satisfy my curiosity about men. In the book Act Like a Lady, Think Like a Man Steve Harvey takes his approach as that one cool uncle you have that is always trying to put you up on "game"; he gives his take on the mindset of men and what they really think about love, relationships, sex, an commitment. 

Looking back reading Act Like a Lady, Think Like a Man was a bad idea on my part, just for me personally it was like every page I read the more of a monster it created; I'm sure if my mother knew I was going to buy the book she would have told me no. In the book, Steve gives tips in his book on how to be a "keeper "rather than a "sports fish". While reading this book I took the parts I wanted to hear and made mental notes of them and skipped over all the rest; it was almost like that class where the only time you listened was when the teacher would say this is gonna be on the test. I honestly did not learn anything productive from that book. I was wrong in the way I handled myself in relationships the way I approached guys, the IDGAF attitude I took on, the whole sex is just sex mindset I had. At 26 I can truly say I have never been chased or courted properly and it is my fault.

Instead of reading Act Like a Lady, Think Like a Man I should have opened my Bible an been reading Proverbs 31. Proverbs 31 is not a how-to guide on how to catch a man or to get what you want out of men it is a step by step breakdown on what characteristics a godly women should hold. I can not even begin to think about men without being a Proverbs 31 women and in turn being a Proverbs 31 women a man should see that and find me. I know I was wrong and during my journey, the most beautiful thing is knowing I was wrong and wanting turn away from that and do what is right in the eyes of my Heavenly Father. The word of God says Jeremiah 17:9 "The heart is deceitful above all things wicked and desperately wicked: who can know it?" meaning my inward motives control my words and deeds. Even though I do know my heart God knows it. It is hard to reprogram yourself and not act in the flesh, it is hard being sexually pure and not sleeping with a guy just because he is cute. Apostle Brian Medows said it the best "sexual purity is a constant test of your character. How you manage your sexuality reveals how you value yourself! Don't let your FREAK forfeit your FUTURE!!! My continuous prayer is for God to give me a Genesis week, to create in me a pure heart (Psalms 51:10), for him to make into the women you read about in Proverbs 31. This road is not easy the least bit but I am committed; please continue to walk with me as I walk with him.

- Daughter of a King 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alone at the Altar

Sis, Take Several Seats.

Your Voice Is Needed